Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Back to school...











Well, My little Victoria Rose is actually in kindergarten... where did the time go? I miss my little helper... but she is smart and learning so fast... And now I am faced with the challenge of what to do with just me...




I am nesting again...Browsing through a local antique flea market I came across this great old chair with the best shade of Robins egg/Aqua paint with that perfect patina that only a little grunge can add...Just the inspiration I needed to take the plunge and finally repaint my kitchen...




So, I had my hubby haul it into Lowes Grunge and all... to have the paint matched... The paint mixing lady gave me the strangest look as she reached for a cleanser to scrub a clean spot to match and I shreaked "NO!!!" I want it exactly like it is, dirt and all... As the other ladies waiting to have their paint mixed looked on, I wondered could they be thinking that "is her house as dirty as this chair?"...but I was not going to budge on this perfectly shabby color...




When a woman approached me with my chair in tow I suddenly felt a little unsure of what I had thought was so beautiful only moments before...until she said "OMG!!! I love that chair and the color is incredible... What it would do brighten up a room"... She looked down at her recently mixed paint of almost the same antique cream that I was going to paint over at my house with disappointment in her eyes... I was suddenly glad that I had been brave in my color choice... And realized that next time she would be also... A fellow shabby lover at heart... Eventually you just have to give in and not do the normal and expected but surround yourself with things that make YOUR heart sing...




My kitchen is painted now... (mostly by my hubby as I'm just not able to do what I'd like to anymore) .. The whole lightness of it changes my mood and I find myself spending more and more time in there... A few peices of newly painted trim and it will be finished... And now I am surrounded by the color of that dreamy little chair...Realizing that life doesn't have to be just "Beige" can make a huge change in every aspect...not just in paint colors and I plan to apply that principle more often...

No comments:

Post a Comment